Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Measuring audio amp output power

Cursitor Doom wrote:

I have an Audiolab 8000 amplifier I picked up at a boot sale and would
like to establish what it's capable of, since subjectively the power
output seems a bit on the low side when driving recommended speaker loads.
Anyway, ideally I'd like to use an 8 ohm 100W power resistor as a dummy
load for each channel and then measure the p-p voltage output across it
on a scope with the amp turned right up. Trouble is, I don't have such a
resistor and was wondering if there's any suitable substitute?

** 10 watt rated resistors will handle 100 watts if submerged in a container of water.

..... Phil