Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Measuring audio amp output power

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:55:17 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

Trouble is, I don't have such a
resistor and was wondering if there's any suitable substitute? I recall
someone somewhere using a car headlamp bulb but I doubt they come as 8
ohm units so some sort of elaborate series/parallel combo of lamps would
be necessary to get that value. Has anyone a better idea?

Have you searched the web for an 8 ohm dummy load?
https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+8+ohm+dummy+load
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201057901616
Note that the resistors should be bolted to the biggest aluminum heat
sink you can find. Mine lives at a local auditorium and weighs about
20 Kg. It doesn't need to be that heavy to handle the heat, but heavy
does tend to discourage those that would want to walk away with my
dummy load. My collection of phosphorescent test cables lasted about
a week.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-10-oz-Glow-in-the-Dark-Spray-267026/204209388

Also, this load consists of 4ea 8 ohm resistors in series parallel.
That was suppose to be useful to produce a 2 to 32 ohm load, for
stereo or mono, none of which I've ever needed. It also had a pair of
meters across the loads, but one of the stage gorillas stepped on one
and I've never bothered to replace it for lack of a matched pair.

Hint: Leave room for one or two thermometers, which will help you
determine when it's safe to handle.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D