Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Measuring audio amp output power

"MJC" wrote in message ...

In article ,
says...

An electric fire/heater element works well.

I guess a 1kW unit for 110V would need ca 10A and hence be ca 10 ohm;
not far off. But a 230V element would have higher resistance and several
in parallel might be needed for each channel for a 8 ohm load...

Mike (retiring exhausted after all that mental arithmetic!).

These are really cheap:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2Kw-Electric...ric+fan+heater

The heater element in the one I bought was actually several windings, and
easy to hack and series/parallel/tap etc to get the right ohmage.

I had hoped to use the built in fan to cool the element, but it turned out
the fan motor was actually 110v, and took this from half the 240v heater
element. Doh!
So I bought another one which sits on top blowing cold air over the elements
when required.

(It should be noted that the resistance of the element is not constant, it
increases somewhat with temperature, but I don't need an accurate fixed
resistance load for my purposes)

Gareth.