Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Measuring audio amp output power

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have an Audiolab 8000 amplifier I picked up at a boot sale and would
like to establish what it's capable of, since subjectively the power
output seems a bit on the low side when driving recommended speaker loads.
Anyway, ideally I'd like to use an 8 ohm 100W power resistor as a dummy
load for each channel and then measure the p-p voltage output across it
on a scope with the amp turned right up. Trouble is, I don't have such a
resistor and was wondering if there's any suitable substitute? I recall
someone somewhere using a car headlamp bulb but I doubt they come as 8
ohm units so some sort of elaborate series/parallel combo of lamps would
be necessary to get that value. Has anyone a better idea?
cheers, CD.

The headlight will not have enough wattage for that amp. A 100 watt light
bulb may seem like a good subistute. Only problem is the resistance changes
with 'brightness' of the bulb. When dark the resistance is very low and
gets higher as the bulb lights up.
Every time the power changes, the resistance of the bulb will change due to
the heating of the filiment.