Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Measuring audio amp output power

On 26/07/2015 13:55, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I have an Audiolab 8000 amplifier I picked up at a boot sale and would
like to establish what it's capable of, since subjectively the power
output seems a bit on the low side when driving recommended speaker loads.
Anyway, ideally I'd like to use an 8 ohm 100W power resistor as a dummy
load for each channel and then measure the p-p voltage output across it
on a scope with the amp turned right up. Trouble is, I don't have such a
resistor and was wondering if there's any suitable substitute? I recall
someone somewhere using a car headlamp bulb but I doubt they come as 8
ohm units so some sort of elaborate series/parallel combo of lamps would
be necessary to get that value. Has anyone a better idea?
cheers, CD.

I use a bank of 10 vitreous resistors spaced apart on tag board with a
60V sub 1W bulb across (for any DC problems etc) and a well droppered
small low-wattage monitor speaker (for sound quality monitoring)