Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Two Home Theater Receivers - Same make & model - blow center channels!!

Depressing discovery:

These particular JVC receivers have PC boards
arranged in a specific way: main "mother" board at
the bottom, with two input boards angled 90deg. to
it - vertical.

On the larger of the two vertical PC boards are most
of the inputs: Tape 1, VCR in/out, CD, Video, & Phono.
This larger vertical board interfaces the main board via
two multi-pin connections(20-30?) pins each.

It is when gently moving this board side to side or up/
down, that I can cause the center channel to cut out in
surround mode. In regular stereo mode, moving that
input board has no effect aside from minor crackling.

This model receiver is just over 20 years old, and my
examples of it are showing its age. Unfortunate, as
I have no need for the features of modern receivers if
ya cain't even hook up a phono or a cassette deck to
'em!

What I might end up doing is using the old JVC for all my
analog sources, then Tape1 out to the "PC" or DVD input
on a new digital 7.1 receiver. My TV and DVD player can
just HDMI out to that modern unit, and when I want to
listen to CD, cassette, 8-track, or records, i just select
that input on the old JVC, and the remaining analog audio
input on the modern receiver.