Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Two Home Theater Receivers - Same make & model - blow center channels!!

"Chuck" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 05:20:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

WHAT THE ?

This is JVC's RX-515V Pro Logic Surround Receiver, 80W
mains, 20W Center, 20W Surrounds. 1994 model I believe.

The first one, I bought in 1995 new, blew center channel
last summer. I plugged the center speaker into a mains
output to check it - got sound. Pressed Test, got noise
in all speakers exc center.

I was lucky to EBay a replacement from Texas, and it served
me well until just today. All other speakers, features work.
Just no center.

I do not know if the problem is on the internal input side
of the surround, or the output side. I would appreciate
some help fixing this as I really like the features and extra
inputs these older units have compared to today's.

Why does the same thing keep quitting on this model?

See if you can see any small black plastic rectangles on the amp or
speaker terminal board (relays). Tap on them with a plastic or wood
stick. If the center channel comes back, replace the relay or
resolder the connections to it if they look bad.

---

I've worked on analog receivers almost every day for 33 years. While I
cannot diagnose via usenet, if there IS a history of these blowing the
center channel, I would look very closely at solder connections relating to
the bias transistor. This is the type of thing that might cause such a
history on a given model type.

The advice given on the relay is good if the channel volume is merely down
or especially if the volume is intermittent and comes back with an increase
of the volume control setting or as he said with tapping the relay body.

Mark Z.