Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ESR Meters

"To allow the self-protection mechanism to function, always ensure that
the Atlas ESR has completed any analysis before connecting the test
probes to a component." :-/

Why? At least it's providing some sort of internal protection.

Just wait for it to fully boot or put some unknown charged cap on
the leads before switching it on. At least you can help them
to stay in business.

Jamie "

To say the least, this is not enticing me to buy one. One kilohertzz square wave at 400 mV amplitude positive going, with a scope freewheeled into sync and DC coupled. The most effective lytic checker in the world once you lern to read it.

Once you learn to read it. I invented it, I used it to great profit and productivitly and I taught others how to use it, but only where I worked.

Now that I am older and ready to die Imight be tempted to reveal all the details. the bottom line is that tis thing read directly RIGHT NOW, no waiting for some stupid program to run. Like the one they had at opjne job, the son of a bitch sat there and said "DISCHARGING". The **** you cre if it is charged ? Just read the AC resistance.

Well my scope doodad does exactly that and if the cap is charged then the scope will still read correctly on AC and not iondicate the cap is charged. BTW, does it occur to anyone that IF the cap is charged that it holds a charge and therefore is probably good ? Or are you testing for 0.05 ohms of ESP in the filter caps of an audio amp and giving name to the term "audiophool" ?

It is amazing they do not teach this. you put a signal to a device - the DUT - and then measure what is does. What is not simple about that ? God damn, I figured out this cap checker witht eh scope thing when I was about 16. ON MY OWN. **** Dick Smith. Well not really but you know what I mean. In fact I made a trade with Bob Parker. Some knobs for a Ysamaha receiver for an elcheapo boomerang. Hey, it came back a few times which proved it was not just a stick, but then the kids got ahold of it and it was then a stick. Know what I mean ?