Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Tek Scope Issue

Hi all,

Forgive me for not having very much useful detail on this, but a friend
has a scope that's unfocusable and produces a thick trace. My immediate
reaction was maybe noise getting into the signal path from a faulty mains
filter or maybe an internal component in the smps section failed, but he
reckons he's ruled out the latter as apparently it's a linear supply. He
doesn't have another scope to check the rails for noise with so he's kind
of limited. Anyway, that was only my hunch, I don't know the precise
model of scope this is; I just wondered if anyone would like to toss in
their 2c worth if they've encountered this issue themselves and what
might be the cause of it?
thanks,
cd.