Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default CRT Television Hum

Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote:
I have a analog TV that is still working fine and no plans to replace it. Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. When the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, the louder it is.

If you are tuning analog signals on VHF/UHF recheck the fine tuning, the tuner could have drifted slighty over time. If it has AFC try to disable that and fine tune manually.

The cheap scart plugs common around here tend to make poor contact and cause these problems. Usually the problem is fixed by reseating the plug. Either the pins develop some type of corrosion or contact resistance or the small wires that are pressure pressed inside the plug are not very well pressed..