Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ESR Meters

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 07:42:06 -0700 (PDT), KenO
wrote:

Am new to ESR Meters so have been searching the Internet and Forums for info.
Appreciate comments from others that have been using ESR Meters as to
what features would be included in an "Ideal ESR Meter"

I have 3 ESR meters.
1. The original Dick Smith red LED meter.
https://www.flippers.com/esrktmtr.html
2. Capacitor Wizard analog meter:
http://midwestdevices.com
3. A Chinese components tester:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281538476673

All work quite well. I mostly use the Capacitor Wizard because the
meter reading is faster than the digital variety, that requires
shorting the leads to zero the display (to remove test cable
resistance from the measurement). However, this meter is not terribly
accurate below about 1 ohm. Good enough for testing electrolytic
capacitors, but not good for measuring battery ESR.

I'm not going to rattle off a bullet list of features for my idea of
an ideal ESR meter. They are unlikely to apply to your unstated
purpose. Instead, you might try to describe what you're doing and how
an ESR meter would fit into your application. That will define the
required features. We can then recommend a suitable product or design
(if you want to build your own).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D