Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default radio time code clock error

On 10/07/15 19:59, wrote:
Clifford Heath wrote: "No, the planet is not changing
the rate at which time passes, and it's not affecting our
ability to measure time. "

HOW can you make such a statement???
If the planet is gradually slowing down,
over millions of years as reported, the
period of time from noon to noon(or
midnight to midnight), is getting LONGER.

Whoosh! You completely missed the point.

The reason we know it's getting longer is because
we have clocks that *aren't* slowing down. I was
talking entirely about *how we know* they aren't
slowing down.

Our hyper-accurate master clocks have
to account for that somehow.

No,they don't. They just count the time passing,
and we decide what numbers to assign to the days,
hours, minutes, seconds. The *numbers* are not
the *time*.

"The earth's slowing is also somewhat chaotic, inasmuch as equatorial
weather affects the sea-level heights, which introduces noise into the
earth's angular moment of inertia, and hence its rate of rotation. That
has nothing however to do with how we know we're measuring time accurately. "

OF COURSE IT DOES!! If our super-accurate
clocks don't account for an inconsistent Earth,
then sunrises, sunsets, and everything else
will start happening later & later by those clocks.

And that is *exactly* what is happening.
That is why we need leap seconds etc, to
adjust the *numbering* to match the planet's
motion. But adjusting the numbering doesn't
make time pass slower or faster.