Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default radio time code clock error

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:37:30 +1000, Clifford Heath
wrote:

The earth's slowing is also somewhat chaotic, inasmuch as equatorial
weather affects the sea-level heights, which introduces noise into the
earth's angular moment of inertia, and hence its rate of rotation. That
has nothing however to do with how we know we're measuring time accurately.

It might help to mention that we have two types of time accuracy. One
is sidereal time, where 12AM on Jan 1 is astronomically correct and is
used to aim telescopes on earth. This is where we says "at the tone,
the time will be... (beep). The other is the length of 1 second,
minute, hour, day... year which is a numerical count of how many
wavelengths of light or cycles of atomic gigahertz
vibrations pass during these intervals also known as atomic time.

The problem is that the two systems don't quite coincide. The current
difference between UTC and International Atomic Time (UTC-TAI) is now
36 sec and growing. The recent leap second just made things worse.

The fun starts when tracking spacecraft in otter space. Not only does
one have to deal with relativistic effects, but one also has to use a
time system that is independent of how the earth spins, wobbles, and
thrashes around. It would be a major disaster if a leap second were
thrown into the timing if you're tracking a spacecraft such as Voyager
1 moving at 17 km/sec (38,000 mph).

There's quite a bit of detail summarized here including what would
happen if GPS (atomic) time were "harmonized" with local time.
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/
Only the top part is up to date but the old stuff is interesting.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D