Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default radio time code clock error

On 09/07/15 20:54, wrote:
Clifford Heath: The biggest variant here is the planet
itself.

No, the planet is not changing the rate at which time passes, and it's
not affecting our ability to measure time.

Earth is slowing down, overall, at a more rapid
rate than any of the world's atomic clocks are speeding
up or slowing down. It's why an "ephemeris" second is
inserted every so many years.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with how we improve our ability to
measure time. Remember I was responding to N_Cook's comment:

"The new generation of atomic clocks, accurate to 1 second in 15 billion
years,supposedly - how do they know , without a more accurate clock than
that to check it against?"

The earth's slowing is also somewhat chaotic, inasmuch as equatorial
weather affects the sea-level heights, which introduces noise into the
earth's angular moment of inertia, and hence its rate of rotation. That
has nothing however to do with how we know we're measuring time accurately.