Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default CRT Television Hum

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 4:17:40 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
On 07/07/2015 20:02, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I have a analog TV that is still working fine and no plans to replace it. Over time, it has developed an audio hum - I'm guessing it's 60 Hz. When the picture is dark, the hum is nearly gone. The brighter the picture, the louder it is. I'm guessing some kind of filter on the speaker connections would do it, maybe something as simple as connecting a capacitor circuit.... But, as I ain't the sharpest feller with audio electronics, I thought I better ask the genius pool here!

First I thought was a power cord was near the antenna cable, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The key word in all this is "cheap". Anything over $10 is way out of line.

Snuffy

I would go with loose frame-deflection yoke coil, wash over with
traditional copal varnish and allow to dry.

Although a common problem, OP responded that the noise tracks with the volume, so that leaves out mechanical considerations.