Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dishwasher problems

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 09:29:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have an old Kenmore model 665.1661591 (made by whirlpool)

(...)
Now when I try to run it there is an arcing type of noise coming from somewhere
in the machine, accompanied by the room lights flickering for a couple of seconds,
and then what sounds like the Klixon tripping out again. I should mention as
well that throughout all of this I've never smelled anything burning, which
is hopefully a good thing.

Are you sure that whatever was stuck was in the pump rather than in
the motor? Offhand, it sounds like a cracked brush. Actually, I'm
not even sure if the 665.1661591 motor uses brushes. I couldn't find
any details on the motor. However, if it's really old, it probably
uses brushes.

Turn off the lights and fire it up in the dark. You should be able to
see where the arcing is coming from.

When it was working, did it take forever to drain? If so, the drain
pump is probably full of debris and junk. That seems to be the most
common "failure".

Incidentally, I've only fixed 5 dishwashers so far. Every time I've
tried to be clever and just fix the problem, I end up taking it apart
and putting it back together at least three times. To many things can
go wrong. The last two dishwashers I fixed, I insisted that I tear it
apart, and replace everything that MIGHT have failed or look like they
will soon fail. I only had to work on those once. I don't use my
Frigidaire much, but it's at least 40+ years old and has been
"rebuilt" twice so far.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558