View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Dishwasher problems

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 12:30:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have an old Kenmore model 665.1661591 (made by whirlpool) dishwasher that has been acting up for several weeks now. This is an old mechanical timer type of machine with no electronics.

The problems started when I'd load it up, close the door, turn the knob to wash, and at that point you would hear the fill valve solenoid activate, (buzzing noise, the machine would fill, and instead of the motor then running as well, there would be a hum for about 2 seconds followed by what sounded like a "Klixon" overload tripping. After about 40 seconds or so this was followed by another click, (the overload resetting I'm assuming), and then you could repeat the sequence again. The motor however would never turn.

I remover the bottom sprayer and the top of the pump and found that the impeller was jammed. I would have removed the impeller at this point to investigate further but I wasn't able to do that without removing the motor. I don't know what was in there but turning the impeller by hand produced a scraping noise, until whatever was in there was finally driven out. At this point I proceeded very carefully. I closed the door, and made sure that the motor would run, and then opened it and ascertained that there was no longer any obstruction. I then replaced the top of the pump, closed the door, set the timer to wash and then the motor started up and the unit ran a normal wash cycle.

Over the next few weeks this problem repeated two more times. In each instance I was able to again remove the top of the pump and get the stuck impeller freed and "fix" the problem. Seeing as how I'd never found a reason for the gritty stuff that was doing this I just figured that this was grainy soap powder that was collecting in between the impeller and the bottom of the machine and it would eventually completely work it's way out.

The other day I started the machine, listened as it filled, confirmed that I then heard the motor run and left it to finish. When we later opened the door the unit was full of water, the second soap drawer was open, signifying that the machine went through a complete cycle, however it was apparent that the motor had quit somewhere in between.

Now when I try to run it there is an arcing type of noise coming from somewhere in the machine, accompanied by the room lights flickering for a couple of seconds, and then what sounds like the Klixon tripping out again. I should mention as well that throughout all of this I've never smelled anything burning, which is hopefully a good thing.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but what is the chance that the overload has been repeatedly stressed to the point where it has now failed? I realize that it could also be an arcing door switch or a timer contact as well.

These things always had a little service manual for the repair man in a pouch inside the door. I know that originally it did have one because I used it many years ago to diagnose a bad door switch, however I looked for it but it's missing. Does anyone have any ideas, tips or access to a service manual for this unit by any chance? I had forgotten how much washing dishes by hand really sucks... Thanks, Lenny

I forgot to mention that the motor impeller now turns freely. Lenny