Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Charging gel cells in series

On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 12:08:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a customer who wants to buy twelve 12.0 volt 8.0 AH gel cells from me. He uses these in his fire alarm panels and wants to keep a quantity in stock for when one of these panels goes down for battery failure. I've explained to him about the need for trickle charging these while they're sitting on the shelf, and rather than sell him 12 individual trickle chargers I was wondering if anyone knows of a cost effective series charger whereby I could put perhaps 6 in series and charge them all at the same time. I would probably not want to go above 6 and I would not do this with anything other than new batteries all of the same type and rating. Thanks, Lenny

I was under the impression that parallel charging was not the way to go because it is difficult if not virtually impossible to equalize the current through each battery. Batteries having a lower terminal voltage would draw more current. The inverse would then be true with a higher terminal voltage. In series the entire string gets the same amount of current. Lenny