Posted to alt.electronics
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Irradiate data through open case?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:15:36 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:43:40 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:26:34 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"John Carter" wrote in message
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in
news
Can you pick up data from a computer without its cover on? I read
a post from someone about windowed cases allowing all your data to
be radiated out, including say.... your banking info.

NO

Unless you have a very sophisticated sniffer.

Apparently some sniffers can be synchronised to radiated horizontal
flyback
pulses from an old CRT display, if it can also grab the RGB video
radiated
energy it can theoretically resolve what's being displayed.

There's no way to identify which emissions are R, G or B, so they'd
only
get
a B&W image - if you're viewing bank details or top secret design
schematics, its possible it could be captured.

The logic level switching hash from an uncased PC can blot out band II
FM
reception, but I seriously doubt any intelligence could be filtered
from
that mess of basically RF noise.

Perhaps the setting in the BIOS to widen the frequency band could help
stop people listening in? It's meant to be for stability I think.

And which BIOS settings would those be then?

"Spread spectrum". I've never noticed a difference turning it on or off.

Does the user manual bother to mention what spectrum it spreads?

Yes, I think it's the CPU clock. And it's to do with less interference with other components in the system.

--
Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mousetrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is
the same.