Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Hey Karl, and any other SPAX users

On 8/24/2015 1:07 AM, wrote:
I have read all the responses and appreciate the time taken to respond. This looks like it is getting harder than it needs to be for a damn screw. Think at this point I will be using Spax to hang cabinets as I like the no drilling needed aspect.

But I can't see myself buying a special set of bits to drive screws. I need to be able to go out to the truck and get the screws, drill/driver, and the box of drivers and get started. These may just be too fussy for me. When I use square drive screws from my fastener supplier, ANY square driver bit works. Even with the Grip Right screws that come with their own bit, in a pinch I can use a generic Phillips. I'm really not interested in keeping a supply of "Spax only" drive bits in the truck along with screws that require a special driver meaning that I can't give either of them to one of my carpenters knowing he may not have one of their proprietary bits. Or making sure that if I send a helper out to the tool box to get screws and drive bits that he comes back with the right combination while I am waiting for him so I can finish a task.

I think I might drop into Fastenal here in town to see what they might have that is a quality screw that uses a STANDARD torx or square bit to drive them.

Robert

Alternatively, GRK screws, structural, regular star/torx head building
code approved.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws-faste...brand_name=177

http://www.grkfasteners.com/index.php/en/

FREE Samples