Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hey Karl, and any other SPAX users

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 12:02:42 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Typically torx are easier to drive than square drive and forgiving when
driving at an angle, I have had great luck with torx deck screws.

When I am over the screws or in a parallel driving position, I don't notice much difference. I usually use the square drives though as Texas Tool has a great deal on 3" square drive weather resistant screws.

Not saying to use deck screws but, I see that Spax cabinet screws use a
"T-Star Drive". Is that the same as Torx? I know that there is a drive
that looks like a torx but not exactly, like square drive and Robertson
drive. Could you possibly be using the wrong bit? I know you said you
used the one that came with it.

I hope it isn't the wrong bit! It is the one that came in the box in a small cellophane bag. Of course, that doesn't mean that it is the correct driver. I do mean that seriously, I have purchased #2 Phillips bit many times that didn't fit quality screws well.

And FWIW I looked at HD Spax driver bits. They are not the same as
Torx. Oddly they have an extension on the end that prevents the splines
on the bit to reach the bottom of the screw. Torx bit don't have that
extension. Weird

Crap, Leon. I never noticed that little nib on the end of the bit. WTF? A quick look at the bit in the box I was using indeed had the nib as shown in the picture. On the box though, it simply describes it as a Torx bit.

I didn't think to use a regular Torx bit. Probably because I have used these screws for the last 10+ years:

http://goo.gl/mNxcy1

These screws are supposed to be #2 Phillips, but I found out the hard way that they are slightly larger, and the #2 bit THEY supply actually fits perfectly. Conversely, it almost doesn't work at all on a regular #2 Phillips. So when a manufacturer supplies a bit with their fasteners, I don't look left or right, but use the one they supply.

I like those Grip Right screws as I have never had one bit of problems with them, ever. Very rarely do they cam out, I have never broken a head or the shaft when driving, and never had one fail. I hang cabinets with them, screw cab stiles together with them, make repairs with them, fix decks with them, and on a on. However, a pilot hole and a head sink is a must, so after talking with Karl he assured me that those two steps were almost never required. He was right of course, and the Spax have turned out to be a time saver and a half. I guess I will try a regular Torx bit and let you know how it turns out.

They have a new brand of screws on a kiosk at one of the HDs I go in the most, and they were supposed to be direct competitors to both Grip Rite and Spax. They are really aggressive in their threads and have a deep cut along the side of the shaft with a sharp point that means no drilling. Could be interesting.

Robert