Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Cool bit for Phillips screws

On 8/12/2015 4:24 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 2:52:39 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Jack wrote in :

I'm not a fan of square bits. Torx works better, and to me, looks
better. I don't mind "quality" Phillips either, and they look the best
in most applications.

For looks, you can't beat straight slotted brass screws.
That's the way to go if you want the classical craftsman
appearance.

The huge advantage of Torx is the bits are self-centering.

The disadvantage of Torx is that not everyone has a Torx bit.

I do a lot of volunteer stuff that often involves construction. For example, setting up tracks for Soap Box Derby races. We have to construct starting ramps and safety rails. We have to secure 10 x 20 canopies to the blacktop, etc. For years I have wanted to switch to Torx or Star or Robertson, anything but Phillips. Unfortunately, I can't do that.

Every racing family has a screw gun and Phillips head bits because that is what is used for the Derby car shells. However, not many of them have Torx or Star or Robertson bits, so we are basically forced to use Phillips heads for everything if we want everyone to help with the set-up and tear-down.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to get out the vice grips to remove a stripped Phillips screw from something because some rookie chunk-chunk-chunked it in with a bit-up Phillips bit. Gawd, how I hate that sound.

Maybe I should pledge $14 for a Knife Edge bit and then submit an expense report to the Derby.

Geez, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and everybody else sell the same 10
buck box of bits that fit just about everything. I'm sorry, but "don't
have bits" is a crock. The only reason they have Phillips bit is that
they bought them in a store.

This is true but first you have to be aware of the existence of these
type items.