Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OK to use pine for cutting board?

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 12:44:14 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/7/2015 10:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 11:25:29 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/7/2015 9:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:23:14 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/5/2015 9:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 1:12:32 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/15 8:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/top...cutting-board/

Funny how they keep referring to it as wood, when it is a grass.
In any case, it does make for some great cutting boards.

I've decided to combine the great qualities of a bamboo cutting board with
Dr. Deb's suggestion of an oak end grain cutting board.

I'm going to make an bamboo end grain cutting board.

I've started the design on paper but I need to transfer it to SketchUp to
make sure it's accurate. Here's what I have so far:

OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

A few things to think about.

While it is indicated that bamboo is dense the typical bamboo cutting
board does not use end grain for the cutting surface.

Common end grain butting boards are not without their problems. While
self healing they are much more likely to absorb moisture, swell, and
split. Been there done that.

Just something to think about. Bamboo may not be as well suited in that
orientation.

You do realize that I was joking right? I doubt that an end grain bamboo
cutting board - constructed with the design that I posted - would work very
well.

All those holes could be problematic.

Well may be not..... If it is as dense as they say it is.... but
something to think about because end grain boards have advantages and
disadvantages.

Might be an expensive experiment.

But it's a hollow tube. That was the whole point of the joke.

Yeah but the part you use is not.

Right, but you can't cut a hollow tube into slats without ending up with curved slats. The part of the video starting at 3:30 shows exactly what I mean. Even that tiny (fake) slat shows the curve, unlike the beech example which was flat on all four sides.

In order to end up with flat slats to glue together wouldn't you have to process every slat with the drying technique mentioned in the video and then press them flat before gluing the faces and sides together?

I don't know...maybe bamboo is flexible enough that you can stand hundreds of slightly curved pieces on end after applying glue to the faces of each and then clamp them together tight enough to flatten them all out and have them remain that way once the glue dries and the clamps are removed. In other words, instead of my original (joke) design of this...

OOO
OOO

....you could create this from the same 6 pieces:

((((
((((
((((

Obviously the narrower you cut the slats, the less curve each one would have, but each cut results in more pieces meaning more faces and more edges to glue up.

It kind of reminds me of walking halfway across a room and then halfway across again and then halfway across again. The theory is that you'll never reach the other side. If you cut a round tube in half and then cut each half in half again and then cut each half-half in half again, will you eventually end up with flat pieces? That would take a long time to glue up. ;-)