Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default OK to use pine for cutting board?

On 8/5/2015 9:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 1:12:32 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/15 8:53 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/top...cutting-board/

Funny how they keep referring to it as wood, when it is a grass.
In any case, it does make for some great cutting boards.

I've decided to combine the great qualities of a bamboo cutting board with
Dr. Deb's suggestion of an oak end grain cutting board.

I'm going to make an bamboo end grain cutting board.

I've started the design on paper but I need to transfer it to SketchUp to
make sure it's accurate. Here's what I have so far:

OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

A few things to think about.

While it is indicated that bamboo is dense the typical bamboo cutting
board does not use end grain for the cutting surface.

Common end grain butting boards are not without their problems. While
self healing they are much more likely to absorb moisture, swell, and
split. Been there done that.

Just something to think about. Bamboo may not be as well suited in that
orientation.