Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default High effciency motors

On 8/1/2015 5:15 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

On 08/01/2015 4:56 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

The ignition switch case kind of bugs me--how does the world's largest
automaker, with at that point nearly a century of corporate experience
in such matters, manage to screw up a damned _switch_?

Why does anybody put a pound of crap on the key ring besides the
ignition key and then complain if it has sufficient weight to cause the
key to change positions.

Because it does not do so on a Volvo, a Jeep, a Lincoln, or anything
else except certain GM models.

It did on the late 60's-70's on most all Fords that had a wad of keys
hanging on the ignition lock. You eventually had to lift the shift
lever before you could turn the key. When I was a kid I always wondered
why Ford owners rested their left arm on top of the steering wheel and
grabbed and lifted the shift lever with their left hand every time they
wanted to start the engine. I learned why when I started driving. Not
exactly the same thing but the integration of the ignition lock and
shift lever position was eventually compromised. Than again it may have
been more if an issue with the park lever detent in the park position.
What ever the case the ignition switch would not engage unless the lever
was in the proper position.

And it's not a matter of "complaining", it's a matter of BEING DEAD.

I've a vehicle that's on the recall list and I see no real difference in
the switch than any of the other GMs.

You may have lucked out and gotten the better end of the manufacturing
tolerances.

Better yet, keyless ignition. I love ours.