Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Face frame question + Sketchup question

dadiOH wrote:

Precision in woodworking is rather a "sorta" thing. Once, long ago
and far away when lumber yards still did mill work, I needed to make
a skylight for my boat and took a cut list to a yard. I don't recall
the exact measurements but one piece was so many inches and some
64ths. They balked at that, said they couldn't cut it that precisely
so I asked about 32nd of an inch. Yes, they could do that.

So how is cutting to 1/32 any easier than cutting to 1/64? Both are
precise and measurable.

I agree. In this case we are not talking about tolerances, which can be a
horse of a different color. Here, we're talking about a measurement. One
tick on a tape measure is the same as any other tick on a tape measure. If
one can put a mark at the 1" mark, then one can just as easily put a mark on
the 1 16/4th point. Again - tolerances are not a matter of this discussion.
I saw the same thing at HD - they would not cut to 1/8". I never understood
that - what is the difference between that tick mark on the tape and the 1"
tick mark?

--

-Mike-