Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Flooring Q

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 22:32:34 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:26:40 -0400, krw wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:01:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/15/2015 10:48 AM, Casper wrote:
Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Big budget choice would be ceramic tile. Lesser budget is vinyl sheet.
OSB sub-floor may not be suitable for ceramic though.

My friend's house came with the Pergo.

As for me, I don't want tile. Not on the kitchen floor.

Your choice, of course. Had it in my last house, eventually will have
it in this house. Very easy to keep clean, never needs wax or special
products.

FWIW, I agree with you. We have a hardwood kitchen floor in this
house and would *greatly* prefer tile. Anywhere there is water I'd
prefer tile over any other surface.

Both bathrooms and the downstairs hallway are 12 x 12 tiles with epoxy
grout.

Not sure I want it in the hallway but if "downstairs" = "basement", I
agree.

The "hallway" in our house is the front foyer. Nothing better than
porcelain tile for that job - or kitchen or bath.

Agreed. Anywhere water...

Main floor "powder room" and kitchen in our house are solid vinyl
sheet flooring - about 15 years old and just like new. Living and
dining room are ash prefinished hardwood. Upstairs bath is a laminate
product that looks and feels like ceramic or porcelain tile, comes in
1X2 foot sections that click together, and the joints are wax sealed
so the finished floor is waterproof. Bedrooms are original narrow
strip oak hardwood. Upstairs hallway and stairs are carpetted. I'd
rather have them harswood too, but carpet is safer on the stairs.\

Agreed for everything but vinyl. Hate the stuff. I have two
bathrooms and a laundry that are vinyl. I have plans to replace them
with tile. The vinyl in the laundry is torn (washer or drier caught
it at some point). As far as I'm concerned DIY tile is time consuming
but not all that difficult. It's cheaper than vinyl, too.

Basement rec room is 14mm laminate. Laundry/office is Berber carpet,
along with basement steps. I would never install the cheap
polypropylene Berber again - drag anything across it and you have a
melted streak that never comes out.

Laminate on a concrete floor? Below grade? My basement floor is
concrete and sawdust. ;-)