Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring Q

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:57:40 -0400, Casper
wrote:

The new "luxury vinyl" plank and tile look-alike flooring is not
terribly thick and can be self-installed - but costs significantly
more than sheet vinyl - mighr be cheaper to pay an installer than to
buy the more expensive product - - - -

I am finding relatively decent prices on LVP on th einternet but I
need to see it in person and know where it is manufactured.

I may very well go with sheet vinyl and a pro install. That would mean
I would have to find a really good local professional installer.
Reason follows...

Same friend I mentioned earlier went with a local place to lay sheet
in his guest bath and bedroom. You can see and feel every nail, bump,
etc., everywhere. A week later he showed it to me and I told him that
was a bad install, not counting the damage to his bathroom walls. He
called the place and they were completely gone. Out of business.

THAT is telegraphing. Sheet flooring WILL show every imperfection -
which is why I would NOT use it directly over OSB. Preparation is key.
Using a floor leveler product on the osb - basically like a real thick
paint or thin cement- to get rid of the texture first would eliminate
the need for a thick "underlay" - That's what a "professional" is for.

I only deal with companies that have been around for a good while and
have a stellar reputation if I'm paying them to do a job. If I'm just
buying product and installing it myself the company I'm buying from is
less important than the material I'm buying from them (brand and
quality)