Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Irwin Quick Grip clamps slipping

On 7/13/2015 9:44 PM, rafaeldeleon wrote:
replying to Paul Stewart, rafaeldeleon wrote:
dream-designs wrote:

Anyone know how or if Irwin Quick Grip clamps can be adjusted or restored

fix them from slipping when pulling the handle/trigger to tighten the

clamp?
I've got quite a few and they are becoming very frustrating. I know they
have a life time warranty and I have already taken 3 or 4 back for

exchange,
but this is getting old fast, I'm about to pitch em in the trash.
I read an advertisement about Jorgensens similar clamp saying they
have 40%
more gripping power and that they don't slip. Anyone have any experience
with the Jorgensen quick clamps?
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, having the same problm I solve it by opening the case by
unscrewing it, insert a 2 mm steele suplemente between the anterior pin
and the levers(three anterior), the angle of them will be increased,
remove the inferior spring and elongate it or if posible change it for a
stronger and longer spring wich can hold the angle, if you want more
gripping power, dissasamble completely and reverse those three levers so
the gripping border present a new one, but I will recomend that do
initialy the simplest two steps and give it a try.
The steele supplement should have a size that avoid its displacement
inside the case.

I have a bunch of these and I haven't had this problem, perhaps because
I don't expect such clamps to provide heavy-duty clamping power.