Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring Q

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:33:57 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Casper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:27:56 -0500, Leon was heard to mutter:
Contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Only their
response will be the one that matters.

pts of "floating" solid vinyl flooring out there, as well as
perimeter glued - but OSB has enough "texture" to it that it could
"telegraph" through and show. As said - check with the manufacturer
of the new flooring. Possibly, with a new floating floor, just a
layer of the very thin high density foam used as an underlay for
laminate would do the job???

I get the 'contact manufacturer' thing...

My rooms came with sheet vinyl over OSB.
It was installed in the plant; no brand name given.

Due to very low door frames, I can't put down thick plywood and then
flooring. I might be able to do 1/4" ply but some floating floors come
with a pre-attached underlayment that could make it too thick. Only
thing under the carpeting is typical carpet foam over OSB.

I'm not sure I'd expect telegraphing. Most vinyl flooring is at least 3/8"
thick, but even at 1/4" thick, I would not expect OSB to telegraph through.
As for your door openings, why not plane off a bit from the bottom of the
doors, if required?

Where are you buying your vinyl flooring to get 1/4 to 3/8 inch
thick??? My premium solid vinyl sheet flooring is MABEE 65 thou thick.
The new "premium" vinyl snap or edge=glued flooring that looks like
hardwood or tile MIGHT be 1/8" thick. That dougle layer product would
not likely telegraph, but I know from experience the .065 solid vinyl
sheet flooring can!!!