Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finger prints appear after staining

Gordon Shumway wrote:

I know I didn't use too much finger pressure while sanding because I
either used a sanding block or my ROS. Besides the "prints" were
across the grain not with the grain so that was definitely not the
issue.

FWIW - across versus with the grain, is not a reliable indicator. If too
much finger pressure were to have been the problem, it could occur in either
direction.

I know I wasn't doing any shade tree mechanic work at the time
so that wasn't the culprit either. I've never had this problem before
either and I have stained many projects in the past.

Well then hell - why are you having this problem now?

It is possible, maybe even probable, that this occurred during
shipment from the manufacturer to my lumber yard or from there to my
house.

I'm really inclined to think it was something outside of your work.
Perhaps, not even really finger prints. Perhaps some other artifact that
only looks like finger prints to the casual glance.

Remember - it's always best to find someone else to blame before assuming
personal responsibility...

--

-Mike-