Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finger prints appear after staining

wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 16:22:56 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there
will be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's
manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals
such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put
your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while
sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and
where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent
prior to staining after this.

Wash your hands often.

You have to remember - everyone runs their fingers over a piece of wood
before applying stain, or a finish. It is highly unlikely that this problem
is related to that simple thing - whether running your fingers over it, or
grabbing it to flip it over. The only way that would be the case would be
if you had some very foreign material on your fingers. Your finger oils are
simply not going to cause that problem. Put all the solvent on it you wish,
but you have a different problem.

--

-Mike-