Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Finger prints appear after staining

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:00:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 07/04/2015 1:43 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am in the process of replacing a couple interior hollow core doors.
After cutting to the proper length, drilling the lockset holes,
cutting the hinge mortises and light sanding I was ready to stain the
first door.

After I applied the stain I was able to see a couple large residual
finger prints that were not visible until I had stained the door.
Unfortunately with the thin veneer I was only able to sand about half
of the finger prints out before I started to sand through the veneer.

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there
something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will
be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Still a chance't you can salvage if you strip the area as best can with
solvent-based stripper and use solvent to then try to also strip the
oils of the prints...But, if it is "just" a hollow-core, may be as cheap
to replace as the stripper and effort.

Use the solvent on rag as a wash before staining next time; it'll a)
remove the oils of any such latent prints, and, more importantly, b)
highlight such things (including scratches, etc., ...) before you
actually take the plunge w/ any finish coats/stains/etc., ...

It is "just" a hollow core door so the effort to save it would be more
than the cost of a new one. I will definitely use solvent on a rag to
clean the next one prior to staining.

This is actually the second replacement door that got trashed. We
don't need to talk about what I did to the veneer on the first one
while using a chisel to remove the glue from the inside of the veneer
after cutting down the height of the door. My lips are closed.