Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default woodworker II blade sharpening

On 7/1/2015 7:30 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 7/1/2015 6:58 PM, John McCoy wrote:
How much blade is
above the wood - they have to work a lot harder if they're
not going close to vertically thru the wood.

see mod here. It didn't come out like I meant it.
That's a big thing. I agree. if you have the blade all the way up, the
blade works much better and you work less hard than if it is cutting into the wood (kept low).

First you need to clean the gullets quickly, which raising the blade
will do. Second you are cutting down toward the table, so it is easier
to push.

A ripping blade is still the key to lots of ripping. I have one and use
it when I have a lot to do. The finish is not good. It's a rough cut,
but when ripping you have a lot of footage to do usually, so the trade
off is cleaning it up with a swipe or two of a hand plane, or the jointer.

--
Jeff