Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Wood Plane Questions

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

I've never seen an original wooden body plane with a wedge and a chip
breaker... except those of the Frankenstein variety. ;~)

I've seen two variations in wooden plane construction. The
most common one (for older planes) has the wedge fitting into
recesses in the side of the plane (I beleive the portion of
the body it fits under is called the "buttress"). In those
the wedge is shaped like the one Puckdropper has.

The other variation has a rod across the body, and the wedge
fits under and bears against the rod. That design can and
often does have a blade assembly like a metal plane. In
those the wedge is a simple triangular shape.

John