Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Condenser fan motor sustitute

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 20:12:40 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 09:04:22 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 06:09:53 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Tom Gardner fired this volley in
:

I have to replace my dual cap every 2 years, why don't they
last?

I used to think it was "poor quality work", but I believe now that
it's a
combination of the impact of "controlled substances" (like PCBs)
and
deliberate planned-life designs.

Keep in mind that such caps are NOT considered a "user replacable
part",
so if the electrical components industry can convince the end-user
"that's just the life of the part", then both the parts makers and
the
local service companies benefit by getting more work.

When you add to that scheme the fact that the _right_ materials
for
building a good (and compact) capacitor are mostly all illegal
now, it
all seems to make sense.

And yes, they could still make good caps for military and high-end
commercial gear, but they usually MUCH larger, and might not fit
in
equipment designed for the smaller form-factor parts. (plus the
exhorbitant prices)

LLoyd

There was an article, a couple of years ago, about substandard
capacitors being used in computer mother boards as they were much
cheaper. The article stated that a couple of engineers had left a
major capacitor making company and set up their own company aimed
at
selling capacitors at a lower cost and left out some sort of
preservative in their capacitors. Whether true or not the latest
mother board I've bought had a statement on the box that it had
"improved, long life capacitors".

second son has built himself what ammounts to a "jumbotron" of 22"
monitors, simply by replacing caps in the power supply of out of
warranty units. He designed a replacement set of caps then bought in
bulk quantity.

Cool. Got a list of those caps?

http://www.badcaps.net/