Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default Condenser fan motor sustitute

On 08/18/2015 12:23 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/17/2015 10:14 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
Just buy the next highest voltage rating. This kind of derating is
standard practice. For film capacitors, a common rule is that
operating voltage be one half the rated steady-state voltage.

Joe Gwinn

But most HVAC caps are dual caps, fan/pump. I haven't seen replacements
rated higher voltage of the same values. Can one use two discrete caps?

Certainly, you can. You just need another wire to connect the common
terminal of the two caps together. But you might not find it easy
to get capacitors of those values with voltage ratings much higher
than the 440V of the ones you have now. And yes, it does need to be
that high even for a 240V supply. I measure 425V across the run cap
for my compressor. I'm sure it spikes higher than that during power
"events".