Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silver bullets

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 06:49:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:12:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 18:34:47 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 22:26:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:45:39 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

So, I've been re-reading my various Patricia Briggs werewolf books, and
one of the recurring micro-themes is various characters whining about
what a crappy material silver is for bullets, because it's too hard.

So -- has anyone who's done reloading also handled pure silver, that
hasn't been alloyed with whatever to make it hard enough for jewelery or
silverware? Is it really too hard to make decent ammunition from? Would
a hollow-point silver round fail to fragment nicely?

(I'm not going to have silver bullets in my survivalist kit -- I'm just
wondering, from a practical standpoint, if the claim about silver being
too hard is really true, or just un-educated author bullsh**).

Pure silver is quite hard as is. Its NOT gold..which is quite soft

Gunner

I looked it up and Copper is about 2.5 - 3 Mohs while silver is 2.5 -
4. So roughly the same as copper and probably some copper alloys are
harder than that.

The articles all seem to have a fixation on melting temperature and
pure silver melts at 1761(F) and copper at 1983(F).

Disregarding raw material costs and letting the manufacturer keep the
scrap and you can likely get them made free on a CNC lathe :-)

Indeed.

There is a bit of a price difference between lead bullets and silver
ones as well.

$15.31/oz as of this morning. That means my 45-70 slugs if turned
from silver are about $9 each...as opposed to $0.001 when cast from
lead

True, but then you don't shout "Hi Ho Silver" when mounting your
Ninja.

(VBG)