Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default How about a welder for edm power source?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:51:31 -0500
Pete Keillor wrote:

snip
Yeah, I'm nowhere near as steady on my best day as the guy in the
video. I'll practice. A 4-40 tap is one tiny target.

Don't let Jody fool you. He takes advantage of any sort of prop/bracing
technique to steady himself that he can think of. He quite often will
grab hold of the electrode (welding gloves on) while stick (SMAW)
welding to keep it steady.

I've never had the opportunity to try TIG welding but would try resting
the cup on something convenient for trying to build up your broken tap.

I remember an old gunsmithing trick to remove a busted tap in a
receiver; hit the tap with the oa torch, the tap will heat up much
more quickly than the receiver. Then hit it with just oxy. One short
burst and a shower of sparks... But I don't have the nerve to try
that.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I remember doing as a dumb teenager.
Bolt broke off in a casting, just blow it out of there with the torch.
Never gave the consequences of screwing up a second thought... Of
course I used to ride my motorcycle down the road back then at night
too. Full throttle (~65mph), no headlight... if I stared straight ahead
my peripheral vision would register the sides of the road. I tried to
stay in the middle somewhere. I added a second headlight to my Honda
Magna and would really rather not ride at night if at all possible :-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b