Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default How about a welder for edm power source?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 14:16:29 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:46:52 -0500
Pete Keillor wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 12:02:51 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:36:19 -0500
Pete Keillor wrote:

snip
Thanks all. Lloyd, yeah I'm retired and I think it'd be educational,
plus I already spent an hour or two picking and pecking at it.

I know you want an excuse/reason to build your own EDM but...

Jody has a nice youtube video on getting taps and such out with a TIG
welder. Which now we know you have a nice one available to use ;-)

===
"Remove a Broken Tap, Exhaust Stud, or Pressed Pin with TIG welder"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR2pGVGHbg
===

Cool video, Leon. That'll be my first try.

Pete

Yeah, Jody makes it look easy-peasy...

Some practice runs first, using similar materials of little value would
probably be helpful...

When I was young and foolish I used to cut/burn out problem items
similar to that with an acetylene torch. Nowadays I think I'm too
cautious and worry too much about screwing up the good parts some how.
Some practice first would be really helpful but it's against my nature
to use up consumables in that manner...

Yeah, I'm nowhere near as steady on my best day as the guy in the
video. I'll practice. A 4-40 tap is one tiny target.

I remember an old gunsmithing trick to remove a busted tap in a
receiver; hit the tap with the oa torch, the tap will heat up much
more quickly than the receiver. Then hit it with just oxy. One short
burst and a shower of sparks... But I don't have the nerve to try
that.

Pete