Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silver bullets

On 8/13/2015 11:45 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
So, I've been re-reading my various Patricia Briggs werewolf books, and
one of the recurring micro-themes is various characters whining about
what a crappy material silver is for bullets, because it's too hard.

So -- has anyone who's done reloading also handled pure silver, that
hasn't been alloyed with whatever to make it hard enough for jewelery or
silverware? Is it really too hard to make decent ammunition from? Would
a hollow-point silver round fail to fragment nicely?

(I'm not going to have silver bullets in my survivalist kit -- I'm just
wondering, from a practical standpoint, if the claim about silver being
too hard is really true, or just un-educated author bullsh**).

I've made them for a friend of a friend, charged him out the wazoo!
Forget casting them unless you have a lost wax set-up and a centrifugal
caster. I made them on the lathe, nicest material to turn EVER! They
would shoot just fine, rifling will engrave them just fine and not harm
your tube in any way. The deformation of hollow points will depend on
velocity.