Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Condenser fan motor sustitute

fired this volley in
news
At that time I knew
of several motor rewinding shops that repaired all small electric
motors.

And they've all gone by the wayside. Nobody actually "repairs" anything
at the component-level anymore. Everyone is now, what in the 60s in the
TV repair business, what we referred to as "tube caddies". They just
replace (expensive) components as a full assembly. No actual 'repairs'.

Our (best) local AC company can't even find a technician who can properly
find and repair a minor slow-leak of refrigerant on an AC unit. "Oh...
you'll need a new condensor unit" is all they can offer.

I can still find and fix them, and I'm not an AC guy. Why can't they?

Why? Because now labor is more expensive than hardware. It's just the
way things have evolved.

Lloyd