Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Sheet metal nibbler vs. shears

Sue writes:

Hi Steve,

You should check out this video on youtube
https://youtu.be/M2ceCfijw-0 Beverly Shear B1 It's the best bench
top sheet metal shear I've seen. Expensive and tough to find, but
very versatile!

One of my best scores ever was finding a Beverly B3 cheap when I was
on the road with a backpack. I went over to the nearest hardware
store for a spool of twine and a suitcase handle. Put the B3 lever in
my pack, lashed the suitcase handle to the shear and finished the trip
with the B3 as luggage.

I have a Bosch nibbler that's good for up to 16 ga. steel. Makes a
nice cut but I find it real hard to follow a line, either drawn curves
or straight with a clamped-on guide. I use it mostly for whacking a
rough piece out of 16 ga. that will be less awkward to manage than a
4x4 or 4x8 sheet, then take the rough piece to the B3 to cut the
finished shape. Blades need sharpening after 35 years, leaves an
annoying burr that it didn't used to.

Oh, and the nibbler leaves these horrible little pointy crescents of
steel all over the place.

Go for a Beverly if you can find one to match your budget.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada