Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to handle a D-shaft

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:11:55 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:59:56 -0700 (PDT), PCS
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 12:34:09 PM UTC-4, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 07:44:58 -0700 (PDT), PCS
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 10:13:41 AM UTC-4, Pete Keillor wrote:
I'm finally finishing my filing machine. I'm down to finishing and
making the drive pulley.

I picked up a 1/4 Hp TENV motor at a salvage place here. NOS, $36.
It's kind of heavy for 1/4 hp, being a 56 frame, and it has a 1/2" D
shaft.

What's a good way to handle a D shaft? I can bore for 1/2" and use a
couple of set screws on the flat with loctite. I dislike setscrews on
flats for power, but this is pretty low power.

Anybody have a more workmanlike suggestion? Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Some garage door openers use a D coupler....

G'luck
PaulS

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be the simple way. Probably fine
for 1/4 hp.

I've got an old compressor head that I might try to make into a filing machine.
About how many strokes per minute do you use?

PaulS

I bought the kit from MLA. As recommended, it'll run about 750
strokes per min.

Pete Keillor

Greetings Pete,
I bought the MLA kit too, some time ago. How do you like yours? I
built mine but made some mods. I really like mine. With the vee belt
off I can grab the file and by pulling and pushing cause the drive
shaft to rotate, even though Scotch Yokes are not made to run
backwards. The steel part of the yoke, the part with the channel in
it, I made from tool steel and then hardened, ground, and lapped to a
very good finish. The bronze part that slides in it I made from
aluminum nickle bronze, also ground and lapped to a high finish. With
almost no clearance, just enough for oil, the mechanism works very
well. I also used a bronze bushing with an oil groove in it for the
drive shaft and a lip seal to keep the oil from leaking past the end
of the bush. On the inside of the main casting I machined a hole with
a little reservoir that feeds the drive shaft. The reservoir is filled
from oil splashing inside. The basic design of the filing machine is,
I think, very good and I like it a lot. Oh, I also added a couple
taper pins that lock the table square with the supports and hence
square with the file.
Eric