Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Peel rivets

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:46:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
Specifically the 1/4" rivets in car doors that peel open like a banana
on the back side. How are you supposed to remove them?

I hit the stem as hard as I dared with a center punch, but a drill
wouldn't bite, so the van's owner used an angle grinder which was
kinda messy.

-jsw

If you're talking about those used to mount window power units he did the
right thing . Only way I ever found to get them out .

I've always drilled out rivets, including door window motors in doors
and tailgates. It sometimes took a pair of needlenose visegrips on
the back, but they came off easily.

With enough room (prop the window up), wiggle the banana peels back
and forth 4 times and they break right off.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess