Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Peel rivets

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:16:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Specifically the 1/4" rivets in car doors that peel open like a
banana
on the back side. How are you supposed to remove them?

I worked on cars for 25 years (15+ of those for a living) and at a
body shop for over 5 years, but I can't say that I've seen the
backside of a door ever riveted on. Most door frames are pressed
and
punched sheet steel, with a skin which is folded over the outer
edges.
Only some of the stiffeners were riveted in, but most were spot
welded. Got a pic?!?

I hit the stem as hard as I dared with a center punch, but a drill
wouldn't bite, so the van's owner used an angle grinder which was
kinda messy.

Put a 1/4" drill bit in the chuck, tighten down a stop 1/16" from
the
tip, and drill away?

They attach locks and window regulators, things I don't want to pound
on too hard to knock the rivet stem out.

-jsw