Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The bizarre and irrational beliefs of gun nuts about household gun ownership numbers

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 16:06:30 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 7/26/2015 7:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 02:36:42 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 7/25/2015 1:46 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:41:21 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 7/25/2015 4:46 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 21:14:59 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 7/24/2015 6:32 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:36:17 -0500, RD Sandman
rdsandman[remove]comcast.net wrote:

Just Wondering wrote in
:

On 7/23/2015 2:46 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:34:29 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 7/23/2015 1:36 PM, Joe Cooper wrote:
Rudy Canoza wrote in
news:mor5dh$m26$1@dont- email.me:

There's a reason these people are seen as gun *nuts*.

What is a "gun nut"?

To a hoplophobe, it's anyone who supports the Second Amendment.
It's meant to be derisive but it's actually a compliment.

You should define "hoplophobe" while you're at it. It's someone who
has an irrational fear of Hopalong Cassidy.

I didn't invent the word. I don't have to define it, it has a well
understood definition. If you don't know, look it up.

Ed was being sarcastic about how some hoplophobes feel. From other
statements he has made, he does seem to hold them in a bit of disdain.

I was being sarcastic about the inanity of gun nutz trying to apply a
comically pseudo-clinical term to people who dislike guns. The
pretentiousness is hilarious.

It's not "dislike". There are liberal left wingnuts who actually fear
the idea of guns in private hands.

And every day, they get 27 murders committed with guns to prove that
they're right about that -- because you never know which private hands
those guns are in.

So now you admit that hoplophobia is real, it's not just " a comically
pseudo-clinical term."

WTF are you talking about? "Hoplophobia" is a made-up joke of a term.

You spelled homophobia wrong.

'Running short of slurs today? 'Reaching into the bottom of your bag
of ****, are you?

Phobias are irrational fears. There are people who actually have an
irrational fear of guns. Virtually nobody has an irrational fear of
people whose sexual preferences are tied to the private parts of other
people of the same sex.

Good grief. Where were you before 1970? People were afraid gays were
going to abuse their kids, or try to convert them...it was the
personification of irrational fear.

Now, about "irrational" fear of guns. According to many sources, there
are a little over 600 accidental shooting deaths per year, and WISQARS
reports between 14,000 and 19,000 nonfatal, accidental injuries.

How irrational do you think those fears really are?

Guns are generally very dangerous devices. I was a certified rifle
instructor and taught gun safety in several environments. For anyone
who has little exposure to guns, fear looks like a rational reaction.
Their original and still primary purpose, after all, is killing things
-- mostly people.

--
Ed Huntress