Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Volker Borchert Volker Borchert is offline

Default Turning brake drums

wrote:
It was apparently an old WW2 Kubelwagen engine - 985CC FMCV1 and 10
taxable HP - NO parts available to replace the (at that time) 25 year
old. There were not supposed to be any in civilian production, but the
muffler from the 1100 and 1200 cc engines wouldn't fit - and even they
were virtually unavailable.

The vehicle was registered in Zambia as a 1949, but may well have been
produced earlier than that. The fact that it originally had 4.5X16
tires would indicate production before 1946 - and the FMCV1 would
indicate 1943 or earlier ---as the 1100 cc engine came out in early
1944.
It also had a magnesium trans case - 1949 had Elektron Alloy, and it
had no cable bonnet release - also a 1949 innovation., and the brake
drums were modified in 1948 ---

Mine had the old brake drums, the 4X16 rims, no internal hood/bonnet
release, Magnesium cased "crash box" transmission,FMCV1 985cc engine,
- all signs of pre-1949 production - and actually pointing towards
1946 mechanicals - - - - -
But it had the wolfsburg crest on the bonnet and the 1949 style
speedometer - so who knows what it REALLY was - and it could have been
parts of several vehicles by the time I got it with who knows how many
owners before me - the last being a south-african "coloured" VW
mechanic.

"Who am I - and if so, how many?"

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert