Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Turning brake drums

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 03:55:15 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

Any tips on turning brake drums on a toolroom lathe ?

Gonna do a brake job on my car over the week end and
am thinking about turning the drums myself.

TIA.

Best Regards
Tom.

The most common problem is vibration. They "sing" like crazy.

Old-time solutions include cutting big "rubber bands" from old inner
tubes, and stretching a few of them around the drum, until the singing
stops. You can arrange other things to dampen it.

I turned the drums on two of my little cars, an MG Midget and a Ford
Fiesta. Fortunately, I no longer have drums. Unfortunately, discs are
too big for my SB 10L. However, I could turn the discs on my old
Fiestas, which is an indication of why they were scary to drive on a
race track. g

--
Ed Huntress