Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Turning brake drums

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 5:54:55 AM UTC-5, Howard Beal wrote:
Any tips on turning brake drums on a toolroom lathe ?

Gonna do a brake job on my car over the week end and
am thinking about turning the drums myself.

TIA.

Best Regards
Tom.

That old South Bend document covers about everything. You will probably need to make some cones or adapters to mount it.
You do need to find something to add mass to dampen vibrations, or it will ring like a bell the whole time, and the cut will be wavy. Once it starts getting wavy it is almost impossible to correct.
You need a heavy boring bar. The Ammco toolholder is 1.125 hex. Ideally it would be mounted directly to the cross slide after removing the compound.
Drums sometimes develop hard spots from localized heating. These can be very hard to cut out, as the bit skips over them. The solution used to be to use a grinder attachment. Modern carbide may be sufficient, I don't know.
It's dirty work. I'd rig up a shop vac hose on the boring bar.